[icecast] Seeking in a static icecast stream

HidayahOnline.org Admin admin at hidayahonline.org
Tue Feb 24 02:49:53 UTC 2004

Michael Smith wrote:

>This should be possible to implement in icecast, but it's not currently
>supported.
>
>I think it'd require:
>Sending correct content-length headers for static content (I think we already
>do this? It's easy, anyway)
>Supporting the Range (or is it Content-Range? I forget) header. This is fairly
>complex, but not really that hard.
>
>Mike

Is anybody working on this, or should I just on the dev-list and throw
in the suggestion?  If Icecast were to implement this, then Realaudio
server would have very little in terms of most usage over Icecast.  It
would easily allow a large library of audio to be accessible, but not
downloadable, for many people, with no sideeffects or problems.

For example, it is difficult and not always reliable to seek in a Vorbis
stream when using HTTP-push (is that what it is when you just download
it and listen to it via Winamp - pseudo-streaming?)