[icecast] Funky password mount point error for liveice and ic ecast - PLZ HL P!

Pete Flaherty pjf at cape.com
Thu Feb 19 01:09:01 UTC 2004

I managed to get liveice working. It has to do with the new icecast2
security. I've included a 'Hack' to bypass the need for the source to
use the username. Basically they all have a username (internally to
Icecast) of 'source'

I really think the new authentication mechanism is a plus, But the rest
of the world not quite bleeding has its drawbacks too.

I read somewhere that there sill be an option to set the username to
whatever you want ( and hope 'null' is an option for backwards
compatability).

I believe this will work, mine did, but I was really busy hacking
several other things that night I may have missed someting...
icecast2 - letme-in hack
 MRU 20040124 V0.3  pjf at cape.com Pete Flaherty

This hack is for the connections.c source file, and will make the
username 'source'
Icecast2 requires the use of a username password pair for
authentication.

Many sources at this poing (eg xmms liveice ) do not supply any type of
username,
 and if they do it is not set to 'source'. This hack willl force the
username to 'source'
 without regaurd for what the source program is telling it.

-- WARNING -- This hack bypasses a small part of the icecast2 security,
and is not
 recommended for public production servers. Tightening of security to
only allow
 specific IPs to stream to the server is encouraged.

Reference the hacked version is from CVS as of Jan 24 2004, though this
should be
 applicable to most icecast2 source code.

You will need to compile source code to make a working icecast server

Bypass hack lines                                 | Original source
lines
--------------------                              |
---------------------
//if(mountinfo->username)                         |
if(mountinfo->username)
    mountinfo->username = "source";               |                 user
= mountinfo->username                                                  ;
    user = "source" ;                             |             break;
break;                                            <
On Wed, 2004-02-18 at 19:45, David Kramer wrote:
> OH MAN THANK YOU!!! I have been pulling my hair trying to get this $hit to
> work for weeks now.  What other DSPs do you recommend instead of LiveIce?
> Either that or when do you expect the patch to be released?
>
> Thank you so much!!!
>
> DK

-Pete
pjf at cape.com