[icecast] *Real* real time streaming (no delay/latency)?

Jørgen Elgaard Larsen maillistparticipant at elgaard.net
Thu Feb 5 01:55:08 UTC 2004

Hello

Does anyone have experience with _real_ real time streaming - i.e. with
very little delay/latency?

I need to stream from point A to point B in near-CD quality via a 100
Mbit network. That is easily done using icecast. But here is the tricky bit:

I want as little delay in the signal as possibble - preferrably below 50ms!

I have made a test setup encoding on and serving from an 800 MHz Pentium
II with debian GNU/Linux, icecast 2 and IceS 2. That gave me a delay of
1 or 2 seconds. I need it to be lower.

that possible at all with icecast - even on a fast machine? Has anyone
tried it? Has anyone made measurements on it?

Bandwith is (almost) no problem. Would it be possible to avoid delay
somehow using another format (e.g. flac)? And would that work with icecast?

Is there any other software, I should look at?

support for MP(2|3) encoding. They exist, but do anyone know of one that
has a Linux driver? I know that it will probably need some additions to
IceS, but I don't mind getting  my hands dirty...

Any help or thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

I work at a student radio station. Our FM transmitter is located some 3
km's from our studio, and right now we pay quite a lot for a analog
leased line to transport our air signal from our studio to the transmitter.

Fortunately, there is a 100 Mbit IP network between us and the building
on which the transmitter is located (most of the way it's actually
gigabit). We would like to use that IP network to transport the signal
from our studio to the transmitter.

We use the air signal from the transmitter for control listening and for
playing around us when we broadcast from outside our studio (from dorms
or different parts of the university). Also, we use the air signal as
headphone feed for our announcers. All that is almost impossible with a
huge delay on the signal (by huge I mean in the order of seconds).

Anything above 90 ms delay is useless for our purpose.

I have ad an offer on some hardware that can do the trick, but for the
price they are asking, I could easily buy 5 or 6 top-of-the-range PC's
with decent sound cards. Also, the PC solution would be more flexible,
allowing us to control our RDS signal and so on.

Besides working at the radio station, I am also a graduate student at
Dept. of Computer Science at the University of Copenhagen, so I wouldn't
mind writing a bit of code, if it was necessary.

IT Manager
University Radio of Copenhagen
Dennmark