[icecast] Server drops client - problem with IceS?

Jørgen Elgaard Larsen maillistparticipant at elgaard.net
Thu Feb 5 00:17:19 UTC 2004

Geoff Shang wrote:
> hmmm.  Wonder if specifying both nominal and quality is causing an issue
> somewhere?

I don't think so. Using just one of them does not make the error go away.

In the alsa imput module (placed in the source file im_alsa.c), the
sample rate on the alsa device is set using the
snd_pcm_hw_params_set_rate_near() call.

Reading the ALSA API it was suddenly clear to me, that this means that
if the sound card does not like the sample rate, you ask for, alsa will
just pick the nearest samplerate.

In my case, I asked for 44100, but the alsa driver was really
initialised to 48000. No wonder there was too many samples when the
encoder still thinks that it should use 44100 :-S

I have made a patch to im_alsa.c so that you at least will be warned
that it selects another sample rate than you ordered. I will post it to
the developer list.

IT Manager
University Radio of Copenhagen
Denmark