[icecast] does icecast care what it streams?

Joern Nettingsmeier nettings at folkwang-hochschule.de
Tue Feb 3 09:29:46 UTC 2004

Michael Smith wrote:
> On Tuesday 03 February 2004 15:16, oddsock wrote:
>
>>it would be true to say that yes, you could stream NSV or other video types
>>with this manner (assuming that they don't need special stream processing,
>>NSV does not, something like Ogg-Theora probably would)...the main problem
>>is the issue of a source client.  Currently, there is only one (that I know
>>of) source client that will encode and send NSV, and that is the one that
>>will only connect to shoutcast and uses shoutcast's proprietary method and
>>customization of HTTP for it's connection protocol.  Icecast currently does
>

> For the record: shoutcast's protocol is not a 'customization of HTTP'. It
> superficially looks somewhat similar, but actually isn't. At all - which is
> why icecast doesn't support it - it's a lot of pain for very little gain.

video streaming was one of the things i had in mind, together with
speex support (i had asked about that in another posting, but it
went unnoticed...)

will icecast eventually be able to stream all of ogg
{vorbis|theora|speex} ?

experience with video streaming under linux, preferably with
open-source tools? if you do, would you share it with me?
(since this is not really icecast-related, please consider to
contact me in private mail, i will summarize your messages to the
list to keep the noise down.)

all the best,

jörn

--
"I never use EQ, never, never, never. I previously used to use mic
positioning but I've even given up on that too."

Kurfürstenstr 49, 45138 Essen, Germany
http://spunk.dnsalias.org (my server)
http://www.linuxaudiodev.org (Linux Audio Developers)