[icecast] how much horsepower will i need for streaming?

Joern Nettingsmeier nettings at folkwang-hochschule.de
Mon Feb 2 12:42:25 UTC 2004

lists at scapa.dnsalias.net wrote:
> Joern Nettingsmeier wrote:
>
>> i'm putting together a streaming relay network for the linux audio
>> developer's conference #2 (http://www.zkm.de/lad), and i was wondering
>> how much cpu power will be required on the master server.
>>
>> we need to record 2 48k stereo signals simultaneously and encode them
>> into three streams each:
>>
>> 2x 54kbit/s 22k05 mono
>> 2x 112kbit/s 48k stereo
>> 2x 192kbit/s 48k stereo
>>
>> it would be very nice if the same box could handle the streaming to
>> between 5 and 8 relay servers, so that we have only one single point
>> of failure.
>>
>> how much cpu and memory do you think we'll need to be on the *very
>> safe* side ?
>

> Icecast alone is very easy on the hardware, the source client is who's
> doing the hard encoding work. You'd want to check if your source client
> is capable of encoding those three streams easily in realtime (let it
> have overhead, so your stream doesn't get in trouble when a cronjob
> starts daily maintenance.)

i should have mentioned that i will be using ices2. i can encode
three streams on a dual p3/600 at about 85% load, but i'd like to
have some data from other people as well...

> On the server side, bandwidth is the limiting factor.

the master will only be serving a limited number of relays. its
maximum network output will be 5-10 mbit/s.

> Also, relays get their streams from the master server, it's not the
> master server that connects to the relays to send it to them.

true, but the load on the master is the same, regardless of the
connection procedure.

> Just make some live tests on the master server, and while it runs,
> trigger any possible cronjobs and do other nasty things and see if the
> streams stay up. When you do the real thing, disable those cronjobs,
> don't do nasty stuff and you should be on the safe side. :)

it's a dedicated machine, there will be no cron running.

--
"I never use EQ, never, never, never. I previously used to use mic
positioning but I've even given up on that too."

Kurfürstenstr 49, 45138 Essen, Germany
http://spunk.dnsalias.org (my server)
http://www.linuxaudiodev.org (Linux Audio Developers)