[icecast] how much horsepower will i need for streaming?

Joern Nettingsmeier nettings at folkwang-hochschule.de
Mon Feb 2 11:58:52 UTC 2004

hi!

i'm putting together a streaming relay network for the linux audio
developer's conference #2 (http://www.zkm.de/lad), and i was
wondering how much cpu power will be required on the master server.

we need to record 2 48k stereo signals simultaneously and encode
them into three streams each:

2x 54kbit/s 22k05 mono
2x 112kbit/s 48k stereo
2x 192kbit/s 48k stereo

it would be very nice if the same box could handle the streaming to
between 5 and 8 relay servers, so that we have only one single point
of failure.

how much cpu and memory do you think we'll need to be on the *very
safe* side ?

thanks in advance,

jörn

--
"I never use EQ, never, never, never. I previously used to use mic
positioning but I've even given up on that too."

Kurfürstenstr 49, 45138 Essen, Germany
http://spunk.dnsalias.org (my server)
http://www.linuxaudiodev.org (Linux Audio Developers)