[Icecast] Help needed with port 80 on Fedora

Michael Smith mlrsmith at gmail.com
Wed Dec 29 06:52:42 UTC 2004

On Wed, 29 Dec 2004 01:04:39 -0500, Bob Reite <bobr2 at telcen.com> wrote:
> I'm running Icecast 2.2.0 on RedHat Fedora core 2.  It's working fine if
> I use the default port of 8000.   I need to use port 80 because of
> client firewall issues.   However when I try to reconfigure icecast.xml
> to port 80, I get "cannot create listener socket on port 80".

Unix systems don't allow non-root users to bind to ports less than
1024. So, you need to be root to do this.

When you try this, you'll then find that icecast refuses to run as
root (in an attempt to prevent any possible icecast security holes
from being _too_ serious).

So, you'll have to configure the <changeowner> section (inside
<security>) in your icecast configuration file.

This tells icecast to change to a different user (whichever one you
choose) after it binds listening sockets, but before it starts
accepting connections from the network.

Mike