[Icecast] AAC

oddsock at oddsock.org oddsock at oddsock.org
Mon Dec 27 16:46:07 UTC 2004

> Hello all,
>
> I would like to know what kind of AAC can stream icecast 2.2.0. Is it
> MPEG-2 AAC or MPEG-4 AAC? How much efficiency can be gained by using this
> kind of AAC compared to
> MP3?_______________________________________________
you might want to direct your efficiency questions to
http://www.audiocoding.com.  We are not really AAC experts here.  As far
as icecast goes, it should stream whatever type of AAC you throw at it.
Oddcast uses MPEG2 AAC (via libfaac), I'm not sure what the other source
clients that work with Icecast use.  There is no real limitation of the
formats you can stream with icecast now.  Most of the MPEG-type formats
are supportable now, you just need to get a source client and listening
client that supports it.  Any new formats encapsulated with ogg need a bit
of work (i.e. speex) but, nothing too difficult.

oddsock