[Icecast] extended characters

Michael Smith msmith at xiph.org
Tue Dec 14 04:04:09 UTC 2004

On Tuesday 14 December 2004 14:26, Ross Levis wrote:
> I mentioned this 1 or 2 years back but it's still not fixed.  I presume
> it's a Icecast2 server problem.  I'm using the latest Oddcast client, and
> my server host Mediacast1 has just updated to the latest Icecast2.
>
> I'm currently streaming a track in Vorbis format called:
> Màire Brennan - I Láthair Dé
> It shows this correctly in Winamp on the broadcast PC.
>
> On the Icecast Status page, it says the Current Song is:
> Mੲe Brennan - I Lᴨair D頨
>
> Listening to the stream (as a listener) in Winamp, it shows this as the
> title:
>
> M - I L

Ross,

I'm pretty sure icecast gets this all correct - though I'm not 100% certain
about the status page, I think even that is correct.

I strongly suspect that this is an oddcast (or possibly, but less likely,
winamp) bug.

I couldn't check this, your stream was playing something with no non-ASCII
characters at all when I went to have a look.

If you'd like me to take a closer look, could you send me (off-list, please)
one of the files you're streaming (the input file), and a capture/dump of the
stream itself, containing the same track? Just a small section of each would
be fine - all this metadata is found at the start of the file, so just
sending the first 100kB would be fine.

Mike