[Icecast] Metadata and bad player behaviour : cut sound for short time when receiving metadata (kh versions of ices/icecast)

Iceuse - Kris iceuse at wwlang.net
Mon Dec 13 09:36:43 UTC 2004

>I'm having weird effects with sound in vlc 0.8.1, it keeps speeding up
>and slowing down. Does ogg123 have a similar issue.  A possible cause is
>that when new headers are received the player may very well reset the
>audio interface to the settings in the new header and this could cause
>the cut.

I few month ago, I was using xmms (I can't set up X11 sound oc mac, so I
can't use xmms any more), and I never noticed troubles with comments.

>For a test, try downloading the stream to file then play the file back.

I'll test that.

>I haven't used JORBIS myself

very nice tool. We can easilly build a beautifull java player around it.

>>Before changing to latest icecast, I would like to know if there is a
>>similar trouble with it (I don't say it's an icecast issue, but maybe
>>with newer ogg headers are handled correctly by players. Anyway, VLC is
>>buggy regarding comments).
>>

>some players are known to have problems with chained bitstreams, my vlc
>seems ok with the chaining but screws up on sound output.

I'll try to contact VLC team, because that's not nice at all. At least,
they should ignore the comments, because they are not displaying them
(just in a strange way in information window)

Regards,
Chris