[Icecast] Another relay question...

Karl Heyes karl at xiph.org
Fri Dec 10 16:46:12 UTC 2004

On Fri, 2004-12-10 at 16:32, Cody Tubbs (wISPdirect) wrote:
> I currently have 3 mountpoints, 128, 56 and 24.  I'm using darkice as
> the source and I'm relaying to another server running icecast2.  I'm
> assuming that darkice is using lame for transcoding the bit-rates on
> the fly and sending 128k/s + 56k/s + 24k/s to the relay host... which
> is using a lot of bandwidth on the source network (which I don't have
> much to spare).  Is there any way to just send one 128k/s
> mountpoint and have the relay side transcode to the bitrates and go
> from there, that way I'm saving 80k/s of upload from the source
> host.
> The stream randomly starts to glitch out every once and awhile and
> I'm trying to fix it.  Any pointers would be greatly appreciated.

sure, sending the 128k stream works as normal and just have 2 local
transcoders to take the 128k stream from the relay, reencode and push
back to the relay under a different mountpoint.  The likes of
streamtranscoder can do that, but I believe you can use a "curl | ices"
type solution as well.  Not sure about darkice but it may do.

karl