[icecast] Legal issues

Michael Smith msmith at xiph.org
Thu Apr 22 01:08:52 UTC 2004

On Thursday 22 April 2004 06:43, jensen galan wrote:
> Greetings!
>
> I've been asked to set-up an Icecast stream / live
> webcam for a small club, and I'm worried about what
> kind of payments the owner would have to make to
> stream the club's music over the internet.
>
> I found this article:
>
> <http://www.copyright.gov/carp/webcasting_rates_final.html>
>
> but I still don't know what to make of it.  Would we
> have to pay $0.07 per song the DJ played?  How about a
> live performance with all original material?  Does it
> matter if the stream is mp3 or ogg?

We can't directly help you with this - there's just not enough information.
For example, you failed to note which country you're doing this in. We're
generally not experts in the details of copyright licensing anyway. You're
probably ok with all-original material, but <insert standard disclaimer
here>.

You'll generally have to pay more for mp3 streaming (because you have to pay
for mp3 patent licenses to legally use it) - plus mp3 requires higher
bitrates for reasonable quality, so your bandwidth costs go up.

Mike