[icecast] Legal issues

Ralph Giles giles at xiph.org
Wed Apr 21 21:43:28 UTC 2004

On Wed, Apr 21, 2004 at 02:08:40PM -0700, jensen galan wrote:

> great info on the dna lounge site, but very
> discouraging.
>
> so, basically, we would not be able to do this unless
> we wanted to pay a ridiculous amount of money.

Yes, it is prohibitive. And ridiculous. This is essitially why internet
radio has gone nowhere in the US. Unless you have clear gratis
permission to webcast from the rights holders for all your music, it's a
significant expense.

This is part tragedy of the commons and part deliberate design. Complain
to your congresscritter if you don't like it.

 -r