[icecast] Legal issues

jensen galan jrgalan at yahoo.com
Wed Apr 21 20:43:40 UTC 2004

Greetings!

I've been asked to set-up an Icecast stream / live
webcam for a small club, and I'm worried about what
kind of payments the owner would have to make to
stream the club's music over the internet.

I found this article:

<http://www.copyright.gov/carp/webcasting_rates_final.html>

but I still don't know what to make of it.  Would we
have to pay $0.07 per song the DJ played?  How about a
live performance with all original material?  Does it
matter if the stream is mp3 or ogg?

Thanks for your support.

jg