[icecast] Live stuff -- voice to music to voice etc. ?

Karl Heyes karl at xiph.org
Fri Sep 26 15:00:06 UTC 2003

On Fri, 2003-09-26 at 05:46, Rob F wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I have the Icecast2 server running perfectly and the iceS streamer
> feeding it either /dev/dsp or a playlist of ogg files, depending on
> which config I run iceS with (I have three config files:  one for live,
> one for music, and one default (current)).  I'm using Slackware w/the
> 2.4.22 kernel.
>
> The problem I'm having is perhaps theoretical:  how can I talk a little,
> play some tunes, then talk some more?  I can do one or the other
> perfectly, but not both.

ices2 in CVS or nightly snapshot is single source based, which means
that it will either do dsp or playlist not both.

To do what you want with in this situation you need to configure ices2
to read from DSP and configure the soundcard mixer to capture/record
from either the master/PCM/Mic depending on what exactly your
hardware/drivers allow. Then use something external like xmms to play
the files you want and stop when necessary.  This would work except that
you have a slight loss in quality due to transcoding (maybe an issue
anyway depending on the settings used) and more components in the setup
to cause problems.

> I've been using shoutcast for a couple days and I wrote a simple Perl
> interface so I could do this sort of thing, but the timing with
> shoutcast is so far off that it's impossible to sync things (hence my
> switch to Icecast2/iceS which seem amazing in comparison :).

I'm always surprised about the context switch load shoutcast creates.

> I've tried overwriting my config file on the fly and sending SIGHUPs and
> SIGUSR1s, but these don't seem to do anything desireable.

No it won't. The config file isn't re-read

> Has anyone done this sort of thing successfully?

I do have a modified ices2/libshout combo that can switch between different
inputs so you can define dsp and a playlist and switch on USR2, it's a full
switchover so there's no mixing/fading though.

http://www.xiph.org/~karl/ices-2.0-WIP.tar.bz2
http://www.xiph.org/~karl/libshout-2.0-kh20.tar.bz2

Check the example config files for examples, as there are slight changes

karl