[icecast] Icecast Shoutcast Darwin Oddcast Questions

Roy Harvey roy at lamrim.com
Sat Oct 18 17:14:54 UTC 2003

Dear Mr. 'Sock --

First let me say "Major Thanks!!!" for your work in developing the Oddcast
plugin.  I'm putting it to great use and will send you an article that I
recently published regarding my usage of the software...

I have a couple of questions I'm wondering if you can help me with...

(1) Is there a version (any version) of a streaming source feed for Linux
that behaves correctly with the Shoutcast directories (yp.shoutcast.com)
beyond SC_TRANS from Nullsoft?  I'm running Oddcast/Winamp3 into a Linux
version of the Shoutcast Server but it doesn't seem to recognize the
metadata correctly.  Ices2?

(2) As mentioned above, SC_TRANS seems to be the only viable
Shoutcast-friendly streaming system.  Problem is, it seems to only like
44100-based streams, which is problem when all my source materials are
16kbps/11025khz.  Any work-around for this?  SC_TRANS doesn't seem to have
any support for relays from my understanding...

(3) I'm currently evaluating a Darwin from Apple as a (*gasp*) alternative
to Icecast/Icecast2.  The primary reasons are video support, strong iTunes
support, and very nice admin GUI/docs for the non-technical among use.  I'm
able use Shoutcast as a relay for this system, but again, I've been unable
to make the Shoutcast directories recognize the stream.  Ideally, I have
one streaming source (in this case Darwin) and multiple relay servers that
push the data into the various services and directories.

Thanks again for all your help.

Roy
Lam Rim Radio
Tibetan Buddhist Internet Radio