[icecast] no mp3s with ices2!? an other way?

Geoff Shang gshang at uq.net.au
Sat May 31 15:44:59 UTC 2003

Hi:

My understanding was that the ices 0.x app was still being maintained.  If
it doesn't work with icecast2, and I've not personally tried it, then
there's some problem with either ices 0.x or icecast2 and it needs to be
fixed.  icecast2 should also accept shoutcast-style MP3 streams as well,
and again if this doesn't work, it's a bug that needs fixing.

I don't see a lot of point adding MP3 output support to ices 2.x.  Ices 0.x
does MP3, ices 2.x does ogg.  Seems simple enough.  Ices 0.x will even read
ogg files.  There's an argument for enabling MP3 input support for ices
2.x, but as has been said already, patent issues are a problem now that
decoders need to be licensed, so I don't expect to see it.

Geoff.

--
Geoff Shang <gshang at uq.net.au>
ICQ number 43634701

Make sure your E-mail can be read by everyone!
http://www.betips.net/etc/evilmail.html