[icecast] External authentification-module for listening to icecast2-streams?

Michael Smith msmith at xiph.org
Wed May 7 11:22:43 UTC 2003

> > Potentially a quite interesting feature. Shouldn't even be too
> > difficult to integrate, really. I suspect that many (and possibly even
> > most?) players won't support it, though. Worth spending an hour or two
> > experimenting if you're interested in it, though.
>
> Okay, then how about simply adding it past the URL? Like
>
> http://testserver:8000/concert?session=abc10283kasld
>
> should work, right? Or are there cons against this? All we would have
> to add is a "split at ?"-routine to icecast2.

icecast already splits query parameters out like this. The 'against' would be
that this doesn't even have a slight pretense of security, and it's really
not a very nice way to do things when HTTP _does_ have proper authentication
built in.

But, you could try it out if you wanted (I'd still try using HTTP BASIC auth,
to see if most clients support it, first).

Mike