[icecast] Metadata - StreamTitle - International language support?

ruffnex ruffnex at mac.com
Fri May 2 14:21:37 UTC 2003

Hello,

Can anybody tell me how stream titles, which are non-ASCII, are sent?

For example, at ShoutCast.com, there are Asian and European streams
that send encoded strings.  However, I can't see how to detect what
type of encoding they are using.  e.g. UTF8, ISOLatin1, etc.  If I
could work out the encoding, then I can display the names properly.

Any differences between how IceCast and Shoutcast handle this?  Any
docs?

Thanks,
Simon