[icecast] Unable to get shoutcast sources to work

Geoff Shang gshang at uq.net.au
Tue Mar 25 03:06:27 UTC 2003

On Tue, 25 Mar 2003, Michael Smith wrote:

> Might work, but this is untested - the shoutcast "protocol" is very poorly
> defined and different things mis-implement it in different ways.

OK, I'll make the supreme sacrifice and boot into windows later today and
test it with the shoutcast DSP.

> > [2003-03-24  13:45:36] INFO connection/_handle_source_request Source
> > logging in
> > at mountpoint "/"
> > [2003-03-24  13:45:36] EROR connection/connection_create_source No
> > content-type
> > header, falling back to backwards compatibility mode for icecast 1.x
> > relays. Assuming content is mp3.
> > [2003-03-24  13:45:36] DBUG source/source_main Source creation complete
> > [2003-03-24  13:45:37] DBUG source/source_main Disconnecting source due to
> > socket read error: Success
>
> That shouldn't be possible, unless... I think it might be possible if the
> source never sends any data at all (just the headers)?

Well, darkice doesn't log anything useful, so it's a bit difficult to tell.
I'll have a look at tcpdump, maybe, since netcat isn't on the server box.

> Maybe darkice requires a slightly different protocol? icecast in
> shoutcast-compatibility mode stays as close to valid HTTP as possible while
> being compatible with shoutcast sources - maybe darkice is expecting a
> shoutcast-style response or something?

Possibly.  Compatibility with darkice is not really a pressing issue since
darkice has an icecast2 mode, but it's a curiosity.

Geoff.