[icecast] Trouble getting Ices/Icecast2 to stream

Michael Smith msmith at xiph.org
Sat Mar 22 00:21:29 UTC 2003

On Saturday 22 March 2003 04:28, Morgan Grammer wrote:
> I'm rather new to this. I just set up Icecast and Ices using source from
> CVS downloaded yesterday (3-20-2003). The box is running RedHat 8.0 with
> all the required RPMs to compile. Here's my trouble:
>
> I have Ices running in live mode, with it connecting correctly to the
> Icecast server on port 8000 (which is only bound to 127.0.0.1). I'm
> using Winamp on the client end connecting to port 8001 (which is only
> bound to my outside IP). Winamp will connect, say it has completed
> prebuffering, and I see data moving, but there is no audio. If I include
> "savefile" in the Ices config, it will correctly write the file, which I
> can load into winamp and hear audio.

Winamp (and several other common media players) have a serious bug in their
HTTP streaming implementation, which means it treats everything as mp3.
There's a hack in the vorbis plugin to treat it as vorbis if (and only if)
the URL ends with ".ogg" - does yours? This sounds like what happens if you
don't.

> If I try to listen to the "savefile" by connecting to the web portion of
> Icecast, it will occasionally work, but 8 out of 10 times, icecast will
> segfault.

Eek. That should _never_ happen, can you give further details, including your
icecast config file?

Mike