[icecast] Icecast load tests - Too many open files

Michael Smith msmith at xiph.org
Thu Mar 13 14:36:48 UTC 2003

On Thursday 13 March 2003 23:48, iceuse at kezako.net wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> 'm trying to setup an icecast server.
> It works, bu I want to test how many clients it can serve.
> Server: Icecast2 on PIII 933Mkz, 512Mo RAM
> Linux Debian 3.0
> One source sent by darkice (can't make ices2 working)
>
> The problem is: "The server can't serve more than 1020 clients, because of
> a file limit" [2003-03-13  14:18:50] WARN connection/_accept_connection
> accept() failed with error 24: Too many open files

Look at the output of "ulimit -n" - that's the maximum number of per-process
file descriptors, it's 1024 by default on most linux systems. I don't recall
how to change that (except as root), I'm sure you can find some
documentation.

I've tested icecast up to about 3000 clients on an old p2 machine of mine, and
it could probably go further without much trouble.

Mike