[icecast] New feature query

Michael Smith msmith at xiph.org
Thu Mar 13 13:47:21 UTC 2003

On Friday 14 March 2003 00:33, Geoff Shang wrote:
> Hi:
>
> I've upgraded 2 icecast servers from October checkouts to current CVS and
> noticed a lot of new stuff.  got a query about a feature in the config
> file.
>
> <queue-size>102400</queue-size>
>
> From a thread on icecast-dev, I gather this is to do with how much audio is
> stored in icecast to shove to clients when they connect, right?  But what
> does this number represent?
>
> Geoff.

No, this is not audio that icecast stores (that's a planned feature, but when
incorporated, it'll be off by default - that just increases latency, which is
generally not desirable).

This is the maximum length of the client queue, in bytes. Thus, if a client
falls behind by more than this (100 kB by default), it is disconnected - this
usually means the client is not capable of receiving data fast enough to
listen to it, due to network problems.

Mike