[icecast] playlist streams

Geoff Shang gshang at uq.net.au
Mon Mar 10 12:53:04 UTC 2003

On Tue, 11 Mar 2003, Ross Levis wrote:

> Yes, I see, of course.  OK we won't do that, so can we use IceCast to
> stream a pre-built playlist file containing individual .ogg files all
> encoded at the required bitrate?  I'm hoping so, so we don't have to
> purchase 500+ PC's to feed all the streams to IceCast.  Can someone
> confirm if this is possible.

You'll need to use something like ices to send the stream to icecast, but
it will indeed do this and I think that the overhead wouldn't be all that
high, since it doesn't have to re-encode.  I just looked at an ices setup
running on a friend's system.  We have 3 streams being served, one
re-encoded to 64kbps, one re-encoded to 24kbps and one served as is
(44.1khz stereo quality 3).  There appear to be 5 threads.  Using ps aux, I
can see that one process is using 14.3% CPU and another is using 4.3%.  I'm
guessing these are the re-encodes.  the other 3 have such low usage that
each
registers 0.0%.  So  this would seem to confirm my thinking on the subject.
One of these 3 would be the straight send without re-encoding.

Geoff.