[icecast] Icecast2 memory requirements

Ross Levis ross.levis at cchlawbase.co.nz
Mon Mar 10 00:45:39 UTC 2003

I mentioned the other day about a new company I'm involved with setting
up 1000's of streams using Vorbis.  This appears to be the favoured
format now so that is good news.  They are also investigating hosting
the IceCast server(s) at their own premices rather than using a stream
hosting provider.

It was mentioned that 1000's of streams could likely be processed by
IceCast2 on the same PC (2Ghz or more) and the bottleneck would be the
Internet bandwidth required for the number of listeners.

I would like estimates of the amount of RAM required on the PC per
stream and per listener.  The streams will all average 32kb/s.  Any
ideas?

If we take an example of 1000 streams with 30 listeners each = 30000
individual streams @ 32kb/s = 960Mb/s.  That doesn't sound like too
much.  One T1 connection will handle that easily.  But will IceCast and
one CPU handle that?

Regards,
Ross Levis.