[icecast] Using Winamp for ogg streams/files

Monty xiphmont at xiph.org
Sun Mar 9 00:42:54 UTC 2003

On Sun, Mar 02, 2003 at 11:38:50PM +0100, boink wrote:

> hello,
>
> It appears that Winamp 3 has problems playing ogg streams/files. I can't
> say exactly since I don't use Windows myself. I tried the very alpha
> Winamp for Linux and it was quite useless.
>
> This came from
> http://forums.winamp.com/showthread.php?s=67fc68ecaec04349ad8bb66483c3cbd1&threadid=126800
> on the shoutcast/winamp forum:
>
> "Ogg files become corrupted by adding ID3 tags, because they don't
> natively support them. ID3 tags are intended for use with mp3 files
> only. Please use Vorbis Comment tags only.
> Winamp3's ogg decoder pukes by design on any ogg files with id3 tags."
>
> thus, what is the best client for Windows users? Is Winamp 2.8 the best?
> Many "normal" Windows users would like to try ogg but are hindered by
> the lack of good software which support the ogg/vorbis format.

Umm, Winamp is behaving as it should; Ogg files with id3 *are*
corrupt.  Do not use id3 with Ogg.  They are not compatible.  It
doesn't matter who told you they were.  id3 disrupts Ogg framing.  Ogg
files with id3 tags will not play in any of the portable players about
to come out either.

If you could let us know what software thinks it's doing anyone a
favor by adding an id3 tag to an Ogg file, we'd appreciate it.  We
will contact the author of the software and make it clear that this
'feature' is unacceptable and that he's just confusing users and
pissing people off.

Don't use a broken encoder, and you won't produce broken Ogg files.
See our own download site at www.vorbis.com for encoders that are not
broken.

Monty