[icecast] Using Winamp for ogg streams/files

boink boink at tetter.xs4all.nl
Sun Mar 2 22:38:50 UTC 2003

hello,

It appears that Winamp 3 has problems playing ogg streams/files. I can't
say exactly since I don't use Windows myself. I tried the very alpha
Winamp for Linux and it was quite useless.

This came from
http://forums.winamp.com/showthread.php?s=67fc68ecaec04349ad8bb66483c3cbd1&threadid=126800
on the shoutcast/winamp forum:

"Ogg files become corrupted by adding ID3 tags, because they don't
natively support them. ID3 tags are intended for use with mp3 files
only. Please use Vorbis Comment tags only.
Winamp3's ogg decoder pukes by design on any ogg files with id3 tags."

thus, what is the best client for Windows users? Is Winamp 2.8 the best?
Many "normal" Windows users would like to try ogg but are hindered by
the lack of good software which support the ogg/vorbis format.

b.