[icecast] skipping at change of song

Ross Levis ross at stationplaylist.com
Wed Jun 25 23:12:09 UTC 2003

oddsock wrote:
> this may be an effect of using the SQRSoft crossfader...try disabling it
> and see if you get the same effect...

It is difficult to test this because the metadata is sent when each track is
silent so there is no audible skipping while no sound is present.  I had
almost resigned to blaming the crossfader when it happened again (without
the crossfader).  I have a very short station ID of about 1 second and
during the quick change of tracks, I did get a skip when listening to the
stream.  The station ID did not play in it's entirety, even though it did on
the source PC.  So to me it sounds like it is something to do with the
sending of the metadata interfering with the audio data.

I don't get this happening when I listen to Virgin Radio, for example, where
there is no change in metadata.  But they are using Ices I believe so who
knows.

Ross.