[icecast] Wanted: Ogg Stations Directory

Oliver Stirling oliver at ojms.org.uk
Tue Jun 17 19:40:27 UTC 2003

Stefan Neufeind wrote:

> On 17 Jun 2003 at 14:18, Oliver Stirling wrote:
>

>>On a slightly different note I was wondering if it was possible to add
>>to the yp directory on a different port than http? My station is a
>>student radio station in the UK and we are behind the uni firewall and
>>as far as I know I can't get icecast to use the proxy.
>>
>>However with shoutcast we can report to port 666 which I can use as
>>they don't block all outgoing ports.
>>
>>Hopefully someone can be of help.
>

> Well since Icecast uses plain http for updating the YP I guess adding
> proxy-support (for usual http-proxies) to Oddcast etc. shout be the
> best solution :-) Maybe Oddsock might have a look at this, since I
> believe it's not that much work from "protocol view" to rewrite the
> queries a bit so they fit http-proxy-needs.
>
> What strikes me most: If you are firewalled, how can you broadcast a
> stream from that machine?
>
>    Stefan
> --- >8 ----

Well, they only firewall outgoing http and _normally_ all incoming, but
they have opened up the incoming ports for our streams.

It would be simple to get the server that recieves the yp commands
(which is apache), just add the command:

Listen 666

to httpd.conf and then make sure any firewall is open and people in my
situation should be able to be listed.

--
Oliver Stirling