[icecast] legalities of streaming

Scott Manley djsnm at djsnm.com
Thu Jun 12 02:02:43 UTC 2003

Chris G (Moguta) wrote:
> Oh, I almost forgot...
>
> If you're going under compulsory licensing:
>
> 1) Listener requests cannot be honored, otherwise you will end up labeled an
> "interactive service" along with Audiogalaxy Rhapsody & the like.  Which means
> more & more expensive royalties.
>
> 2) You cannot play more than 3 songs of the same album in any 3 hour period
> (no more than 2 in a row).  Nor can you play more than 4 songs of the same
> artist in any 3 hour period (no more than 3 in a row).
>
> 3) You may not make available a complete list of the artists, songs, or albums
> your stream plays.
>
> 4) You may not make a list available of upcoming songs referenced by order or
> by time they will be played.

Ahh yes the details of the Vessel Hull Strengthening Act - the exact
rules are a bit more vague than this and are open to interpretation,
there's no legal precedent established yet. Rule 2 is commonly
interpreted different ways - for example Myplay.com always played it
legal but their legal advisors claimed that the 3-4 rule was - 3 songs
from a single artist/album if 2 are played consecutively or 4 from a
single artist album without consecutive plays. So there was no limit on
playing a single artist in a 3 hour period, as long as you kept changing
albums...

anyway every organisation I've worked with has their own interpretation
of the rules.