[icecast] legalities of streaming

Stefan Neufeind stefan at neufeind.net
Wed Jun 11 17:38:36 UTC 2003

On 11 Jun 2003 at 17:19, Remco B. Brink wrote:

> <quote who="Mitchell Smith">
>
> > What are the general thoughts surrounding this subject?
>
> Strongly depends on what country you are streaming from.
>
> The Netherlands is *insanely* expensive, Norway will let you stream
> for little over $40 USD a month.
>
> The US probably has some other rules and regulations.

Well, here in Germany its far easier than in the US: In the US afaik
you have to get the legal right for every song you want to broadcast.
That's much easier here.
But in comparison to the Netherlands its quite expensive in Germany:
All I remember is about 30 Euros or so for GEMA and the same fee
again for some other organisation. This allows you to stream 24 hours
a day, 100% music and max. 20 concurrent listeners. If you need more
slots or want to open a second channel they charge additional fees.
But you can do some calculations like only 12 hours a day but 40
listeners or so. Or just 80% music (rest: word) and so on. But you
will never get below this "entry price" of 2x 30 Euros or so.

As you see: It's a lot better here than in other countries but still
to expensive for "home-use" :-(((