[icecast] Can't get ices to work on secondary audio card

Remco B. Brink remco at rc6.org
Thu Jun 5 14:34:21 UTC 2003

<quote who="adam leigh">

> > On Wed, 2003-06-04 at 22:01, adam leigh wrote:
> >
> > > When broadcasting live media off of any sound card other than the
> > > primary(Default, aka: /dev/dsp) sound device I only end up
> > > broadcasting silence.
> >
> > so there's a connection to icecast being maintained and icecast
> > shows a stream with so many listeners (status.xsl) ?
>
> That's right.  Icecast recognizes the stream and the status.xsl page
> updates properly to reflect the attempts to connect I make.

Are you sure that the user accessing the secondary sound device actually
has rights to access that device?

If that user doesn't, you'll end up streaming silence - resulting in the
problem you're describing.

Your problem is not on the Icecast server, but on the program you use to
stream *towards* the Icecast server. Either permission problems or
your recording device is somehow configured wrong.

-rbb

--
   Remco B. Brink -- Information Systems Developer, Opera Software ASA
   Personal site at http://rc6.org - PGP key at http://rc6.org/rbb.pgp