[icecast] icecast2, ogg, mp3, etc

oddsock oddsock at oddsock.org
Tue Jun 3 23:45:28 UTC 2003

At 09:33 AM 6/4/2003 +1000, you wrote:
>On Tue, 3 Jun 2003, oddsock wrote:
>
> > shoutcast mp3 metadata is supported, however you cannot use the
> > shoutcast DSP as a source stream to an icecast2 server.
>
>Why is this?  This would seem somewhat to defeat the point of
>including shoutcast-style stream support.

there are a few things which prevent using the shoutcast DSP, first is the
authentication.  Shoutcast has it's own custom authentication protocol,
that icecast2 would have to emulate.  Secondly, updates for metadata are
done via a URL call (/admin.cgi?mode=updingo&pass=password&st=MyMetadata)
or something like this.  This is also quite different than the way icecast2
has been coded to support metadata updates for mp3.  So while it's quite
possible to add Shoutcast DSP compatability, it is a matter of emulating a
product that noone on this side of the fence is terribly fond of....And if
there were no alternatives to the Shoutcast DSP, then maybe the answer
would be different, but that is not the case...

the shoutcast style mp3 metadata is a bit different however as there is
really no other alternatives to providing metadata for mp3 streams.  And
believe me, it was added begrudgingly (as Mike will probably attest to)....

oddsock