[icecast] PDA as source client

adam adam at xs4all.nl
Fri Jul 25 12:54:50 UTC 2003

Akos, the darkice developer, said a while ago that Darkice should be
able to be compiled and run on the Sharp Zaurus. I have just tried this
but no luck, it just returns 'cannot execute binary'...

i have ogglibs and vorbis libs installed on the zaurus so if anyone
knows
anyway to stream using ogg on a strongarm pda, i would be most grateful to
know more

i will also try cross compiling for the zaurus Qtopia environment but i
first need to know more about how to make '.pro' files...if there is
anyone that can point me at a resource for this too, that would be great
:)

in the meantime i have had zaurus using 'zmeeting' which does instant
messanger type 'realtime' voice messenging and the quality seems quite ok,
and it interacts with gnomemeeting really well...looking forward to the
possibility of streaming ogg though....

adam

> Luke Stodola wrote:
> > Has anybody used anything other than a PC as a source for icecast2?  Are
> > PDAs powerfull enough?  I know vorbis encoding takes a signifigant amount
> > of CPU power, but I've been able to do it on 4 year old PCs.  Does a
> > 206MHz Intel StrongARM 32-bit RISC processor have as much power as a 200
> > Mhz Pentium?
>
> the big problem here is that the arm does not have floating point
> operations in hardware. all float calculations must be emulated in
> software. i don't know how much float math is involved in encoding
> vorbis, but my guess is "quite some" :)
>
> > I'm thinking Compaq iPaq, running Familiar Linux and IceS, would make a
> > nice portable $220 source.
> >
> > Any thoughts?
>

> --
> All Members shall refrain in their international relations from
> the threat or use of force against the territorial integrity or
> political independence of any state, or in any other manner
> inconsistent with the Purposes of the United Nations.
> 	-- Charter of the United Nations, Article 2.4
>

> Jörn Nettingsmeier
> Kurfürstenstr 49, 45138 Essen, Germany
> http://spunk.dnsalias.org (my server)
> http://www.linuxdj.com/audio/lad/ (Linux Audio Developers)