[icecast] PDA as source client

Michael Smith msmith at xiph.org
Tue Jul 22 01:15:09 UTC 2003

On Tuesday 22 July 2003 01:34, Luke Stodola wrote:
> Has anybody used anything other than a PC as a source for icecast2?  Are
> PDAs powerfull enough?  I know vorbis encoding takes a signifigant amount
> of CPU power, but I've been able to do it on 4 year old PCs.  Does a
> 206MHz Intel StrongARM 32-bit RISC processor have as much power as a 200
> Mhz Pentium?
>
> I'm thinking Compaq iPaq, running Familiar Linux and IceS, would make a
> nice portable $220 source.
>
> Any thoughts?

No. These PDAs (and similar ones) do not have floating point hardware. Without
that (i.e. using software-emulated floating point), this cpu is far too slow.
No fixed-point vorbis _encoder_ exists, currently. So there's no chance at
all with vorbis, unless you want to write such an encoder (this is a Very
Large Task).

For mp3, it might be possible. I think fixed-point mp3 encoders exist, though
they're not (afaik) competitive on quality with things like LAME, and there
may not be any free (non-commercial) ones (you'd have to pay the mp3
licensing fees anyway). You'd have to investigate.

Mike