[icecast] IceCast Questions.... ("id3 tags, mp3, Ogg, etc)

Stefan Neufeind stefan at neufeind.net
Mon Jul 21 06:34:38 UTC 2003

On 21 Jul 2003 at 12:17, Michael Smith wrote:

> > > vorbis is supported in WMP by external plugins - they're not built
> > > in, and not auto-downloaded. There is a real plugin, it will soon
> > > (but not yet, afaik) be available from the auto-download servers.
> > > iTunes doesn't support it.
> >
> > Ouch. Is the Vorbis codec "finalized" ? I saw some talk that they
> > keep improving it. If there is backwards compatibility then that is
> > fine. Maybe if we request iTunes add Vorbis support Apple would
> > implement it?
>
> Yes, the vorbis format is definately finalised (has been for well over
> a year, now). We've published the spec ourselves, but we're also
> persuing publication as an RFC, etc. While the encoder will continue
> to be improved, existing decoders will work without modification.
>
> The more people that ask Apple for support the better, I suppose - go
> ahead and ask them!

Out-of-the-box (e.g. auto-codec-download) would really be a good idea
for sure. But did you notice there is already a component for
QuickTime to support vorbis?

http://qtcomponents.sourceforge.net/

Just came across it when searching. There are Versions for Mac and
Win. Tried it without success - but maybe the problem was me? *g*
>From the page it looks very promising - and maybe that's a project in
somebody might like to contribute, since it was last changed in 2002.

 Stefan