[icecast] IceCast Questions.... ("id3 tags, mp3, Ogg, etc)

Stefan Neufeind stefan at neufeind.net
Fri Jul 18 08:05:55 UTC 2003

On 18 Jul 2003 at 13:06, Michael Smith wrote:

> On Friday 18 July 2003 11:16, Ethan wrote:
> > If I had 1 icecast server acting as a relay, connecting to a 2nd
> > one, could I switch between "2nd ones" and not interrupt the
> > listener?
>
> Not precisely. What you can do (with icecast2) is:
>     server1: /relay-mount1 <---- server2
>            : /relay-mount2 <----- server3
>
> In this setup, you might dynamically add server3/relay-mount2, as your
> "new 2nd one". Then, you can dynamically switch users from
> /relay-mount1 to /relay-mount2, without interrupting the listeners.
> Then you can drop server2/relay-mount1.
>
> The above is not well tested, however, and it may interact badly with
> metadata support. If so, this should be fixed.

How would you "switch" the users, I mean on the fly? Rewrite the
configs so that you define the mountpoint from with the main server
relays anew and give icecast2 a SIGHUP to re-read config?
Anybody tried such things in practice?

> > Anyone have experience trying to push Icecast to do all of this?
>
> Not on live systems, but I've done similar things on internal tests.

Together with this topic I might bring up the topic of a radio
automation system. Maybe there are some tools out there, freely
available? I don't want to / can't purchase a commercial system for
3000$ or something to do automation. But it should support things
like automatic fading based on the songs (endings / beginnings of a
song), be able to use categories to build a well-balanced playlist,
play jingles from time to time etc. Also a Linux-solution for
combining this with live-talk (moderation) would be really much
appreciated. Does somebody know of any such solution out there?
I heard from time to time that many people of you are doing >10
streams. Do you just use playlists - or maybe tools like the above
mentioned to have fading between tracks etc. to make it sound better?

  Stefan