[icecast] OT: OGG in the mainstream

Mark Casey mccasey at clara.co.uk
Tue Jul 15 14:27:25 UTC 2003

There is a big, big difference between cbr and vbr, btw. The machine in
question is a Pentium 3 700 oc'ed to 800, 512MB ram, win nt 5.1 (2k and xp
being nt) etc
In an earlier version the oddcast dsp ate up so much cpu time when set at
say 64kbps (for examples sake) 44.1kHz, stereo that the machine became
totally unusable and the winamp task had to be (slowly) ended with task
manager.
Now, currently on the same machine using CBR and so forth winamp with the
oddcast dsp eats between 70-90% cpu, it essentially prevents you from doing
anything since the machine in question was also used as a desktop machine
(purely testing purposes).
If I had this machine setup as say a Gentoo Linux machine dedicated for
realtime encoding I'm sure cpu usage wouldn't be so bad, but still its too
high.
VBR is always a headache for streaming, hence why the majority of people use
CBR.
And I was under the impression that OGG Vorbis was never designed for
samplerates other than 44.1kHz, sure it can encode at other bitrates but to
my knowledge it was always designed for lossy compression of samplerates at
44.1kHz.

Mark