[icecast] ices 0.3 released

Matt Boersma matt at sprout.org
Mon Jul 14 16:24:34 UTC 2003

On Sun, Jul 13, 2003 at 05:28:12PM -0400, Arc wrote:
> On Sun, Jul 13, 2003 at 02:27:01PM -0700, Dan Sully wrote:
> >
> >         I quite agree - it's frustrating to be able to use software that's
> >         almost there, then have all the development move to a format that 90%
> >         of the applications/embedded systems don't yet support.
>
> I'm sorry, but >90% of software does support Ogg.

One thing that is *not* accelerating the adoption of ogg is this
kind of attitude.  I run an online radio station.  We're drooling
to move to ogg, but there are major tradeoffs:
- Most listeners will have to upgrade to a new client or
install a plugin.
- Most WinAMPers connect with v.3, which won't work with ogg
principally because the icecast developers make no concessions
for its mistaken mime-typing.
- Mac users have to give up iTunes and install Whamb.
- Effectively no hardware device support.

I realize all this is changing, and I'm doing whatever I can to
get it there, but you can only force new standards and technologies
on people if you're Steve Jobs.  Others should be as accomodating
as possible.

Welcome...to the real world.