[icecast] ices 0.3 released

Michael Smith msmith at xiph.org
Mon Jul 14 01:14:22 UTC 2003

> Now that I think that's done, I personally like the idea of providing
> MP3 support for ices 2. I have some ideas about how to do it fairly
> cleanly, though I haven't read the ices2 code in any detail.
>
> But, whether this happens depends not just on the code getting
> written, but on whether other Xiph developers are willing to lend any
> more aid and shelter to the proprietary MP3 format and its litigious
> owners. My personal perspective may tend more toward the practical and
> the short term than theirs, but I can certainly understand if they
> don't want to include MP3 support in any new code. If I didn't have
> other people depending on an ices with MP3 support, I might feel the
> same way myself.

Our attitude towards mp3 support in the 'icecast suite' has generally been
"we're not that interested in doing the work ourselves, but have no
objections to integrating work done by others".

So basically, as long as it's entirely optional (i.e. you could compile ices2
without any mp3 (encoding or decoding) support), I'd have absolutely no
problems with having mp3 support in there - but it's not work I'm interested
in doing myself.

Mike