[icecast] ices 0.3 released

Stefan Neufeind stefan at neufeind.net
Sun Jul 13 21:24:18 UTC 2003

On 13 Jul 2003 at 14:45, Brendan Cully wrote:

> ices 0.3 outputs MP3, not Vorbis. For Vorbis you will need ices
> 2. We know this is confusing, so ices 0.x will probably have a new
> name for the next release. Ideas?

I'm glad to hear that 0.x is still maintained and, as it seems, still
updates. Well, but why don't you just integrate 2.x and 0.x into each
other, I mean, use 2.x as a "major brandnew rewrite" of 0.x and
simply add MP3-support (just an option to link against lame) to 2.x?
It would be up to every user if he / she wants to live with the legal
"problems" connected with MP3 or not. But where's the problem? Does
maintaining two separate tools doing almost the same make that much
sence?

  Stefan