[icecast] MP3/OGG/The whole thing

Karl Heyes k.heyes at blueyonder.co.uk
Sat Jul 5 14:39:54 UTC 2003

On Sat, 2003-07-05 at 15:14, Rolf Johansson wrote:

> Speaking from this, MP3 support is dropped in iceS2 due to legal and quality
> issues (?) but icecast2 still does support MP3 streaming and libshout (the ground
> library) supports it too. Right?

no one was interested enough to put mp3 into ices2, but you are right
there are also patent/quality issues.  Icecast2 does support streaming
of mp3/ogg.

libshout itself provides a wrapper for the communication with the server
in a fairly generic way, this means the different headers and parsing
rules used by the different servers are hidden from the streaming app.

> I know OGG gives more quality with less bandwidth, but the main problem for me
> is that I already have all audio as MP3 - and I don't look forward to the days
> of converting all my audio.

there are already utilities that would help that sort of conversion, but
be aware of transcoding issues, ogg will not make your mp3's sound
better

karl.