[icecast] How to do relays ?

Michael Smith msmith at labyrinth.net.au
Mon Feb 24 01:48:12 UTC 2003

Qahatika <letters at sw3k.net> said:

> | > I would send an audio stream to an icecast server,and make relays with
> other
> | > servers wothout have to send the stream to each server.
> | >

> | I'm not sure I understand what you're asking for - you want to relaying,
> but
> | without the stream having to get to the relaying servers? So, you want the
> | stream to just "magically appear" at them? No, that's not possible.
>
> No
> that's not "magically"
> I want (sorry for my poor english)
> send the stream to a server, witch send to an other

> You understand what I want do ?

Yes, that's supported by icecast2, though it doesn't quite work like that. It
works like this (assuming you want to send on to more than one server - so
this example looks a little more complex):

You -------------> server1 <----------- server2a
                           <----------- server2b

The relaying servers fetch from server1, rather than the other way around. The
effect is more or less the same, though.

Mike