[icecast] Icecast2 and mp3s?

oddsock oddsock at oddsock.org
Tue Feb 18 22:57:01 UTC 2003

At 03:45 PM 2/18/2003 +0100, you wrote:
>Hi there.
>
>Since there's nearly no documentation on this subject:
>Am I able to stream mp3s via icecast2?
>Please don't tell me that ogg is the better file format. I won't recode
>thousands of files..

mp3 support in icecast2 is very good at this point.  It has pretty much
everything that icecast1 did as far as "mp3 support" goes.  and no, you
don't need to recode your mp3s, in fact, that's strongly "not
recommended".  You'll need to find a source client that supports sending
mp3 data to icecast2 (it's not the same as sending mp3 data to icecast1)
and alot of the major source clients support this (at least the ones that
support icecast2).

oddsock