[icecast] icecast vs real player

eelboy eelboy at speakeasy.net
Tue Feb 11 01:10:35 UTC 2003

hi, first post to the list (though i've been subscribed for several months
now)...  I'm having a problem with icecast and my windows real audio
player. this may very well be a real issue, but for now i thought someone
here might have run across this problem. so here it is:

when i point my real player to the icy mount point, for example
http://servernamehere:8002/icy_2/, the stream plays just fine... icecast is
being fed from the liveice xmms plugin and I can listen to my "live" stream
(which is actually just an xmms playlist toggled to REPEAT.)

After 45 minutes, the real player disconnects.  The icecast log message
shows:

[09/Feb/2003:18:54:01] [5:Source Thread] Kicking client 16 [192.168.1.2]
[Client signed
 off] [listener], connected for 45 minutes and 1 seconds, 54018031 bytes
transfered. 0
clients connected

Meanwhile, xmms and liveice continue doing there thing....  Both the real
player and the windows media player do the same thing, and i've found that
if I change the bitrate of my stream (for example, halve it) then the
client will stay connected twice as long.  (winamp will stay connected
forever).

So i'm going crazy trying to figure out how to get the real client to stay
connected as ultimately, I want to embed the player on a web page.  Anyone
seen this before? Ideas?

I can provide more info if someone would like to stab at helping on this.
thanks,
edward