[icecast] Using ices or shout with continuously growing files?

Mathias Gygax mg at trash.net
Sun Feb 9 15:50:49 UTC 2003

On Sun, Feb 09, 2003 at 04:06:30PM +0100, Marcel Bierling wrote:
> I also tried such things:
>
> lxserv:/mnt/fatbass# tail -f recording.mp3 | /usr/local/icecast/bin/ices -M
> stdinpcm -h localhost -p 40044 -P password
> Logfile opened
> Could not find a valid playlist file.
> Ices Exiting...
>
> In this case I try to KEEP READING the mp3 file (which becomes continuously
> larger), and pipe it to ices (how should I do this?). But ices isn't nice to
> me and keeps asking for a playlist, which doesn't exist in this case.

just some ideas:

/dev/stdin as a file is always connected to the stdin of the running
process. so if you pipe something to ices, you could open /dev/stdin as
a file and connect the output of the pipe to the input of ices while
still specifing a file, when ices doesn't get its data from the stdin. now
there's a problem (i don't know about this) if ices wants a playlist
file (dunno how this one is parsed).
so try to open with -F /dev/stdin the pipe output as a playlist.

there are some chances that doesn't work, so put "/dev/stdin" as a file in
a dummy playlist and try to open that.

HTH

 - regards, turrican