[icecast] lowest streamable bitrate?

Matt Boersma matt at sprout.org
Wed Dec 10 17:42:18 UTC 2003

I also encode at 11khz and get about 8 kbps.  It sounds roughly
comparable to our 16K RealAudio stream: crap, but at half the
bitrate.

Search around for a thread on the "Vorbis GT3" encoder.  Someone
did some impressive work tweaking ogg vorbis to emit reasonably
listenable sounds at 4-5Kbps, stereo even.  A back burner
project of mine is to merge his code with current vorbis sources
so we can stream something intelligible at the lowest possible
bitrate.  Speex would be cool, too, but getting our listeners
to install vorbis plugins, etc., is enough of a challenge for
now.

Matt