[icecast] load average question

Adon Irani adon at yorku.ca
Fri Dec 5 20:05:15 UTC 2003

cpu usage :

> It depends on the number of streams and there encoder settings,
> samplerate is a big factor for instance.  Also whats the minimum spec
> you can get these days :)

i am rewritting my whole community radio station , and trying to get it
more like bbs / media-library , where i can have more than just radio
shows .. ie., live local shows , dj set pages, etc ..

but i need some mp3 support for new or non-friendly users .. .
so i figure ,

ch 1 ..  .ogg playlist rebroadcast
 w/ 2 mounts _ dialup and hispeed (as available , q=-1, q=7 )
 and a mp3 transc0der - 24kbs
( 3 mountpoints )

ch 2 . basically the same setup .. AUTO-REQUEST channel, if 0 listeners,
you can choose your own episode to be streamed .
( 3 mountpoints )

live .. only the dialup mount , this is being run by another server/set of
scripts , w/ both dialup/hispeed , and it'll relay to the main network if
desired . if so , it'll take over the stream 1 transc0der .
( 2 mountpoints , 1 shared tho )

o i have 7 streams running at max , only 2 of which are quality7 , the
rest are around 24kbps , and of course , 2 transcoder sessions .

, for what works so far , it is very stable , ( i still have to add all
the old radio archives tho ) . you can see it at, http://theDV8network.com

--

anyh0w , with only ch2 running (ie., 1 transcoder and 1 ices session ) ,
my load is under .5 and CPU usage at 3o%

o adding the same amount of work (ie., turning on ch1 and 1 more
transcoder/ices sessions, ) .. this brings it up to near max (up to 2.5
load average ) .

HENCE , i figure CPU is the bottleneck .. not enough processing power .
perhaps buy the fastest chip that my current motherboard would allow (
prolly 12oo er somthin )

does anyone have a more sophisticated answer ?  , i'm already planning to
upgrade the scsi card and drives . .. so i have to spend the money i don't
have wisely !!

> > 2 appended so that i can track them through ps , ( i don't know how to
> > track actual PID's .. again, any suggestions here would be appreciated ) ]
>
> I think I'll be adding the pidfile tag to ices2 as well as it has its
> uses.

many thanks , karl . .