[icecast] Newbie questions: icecast streaming live radio...

Kerry Cox kerry.cox at ksl.com
Fri Aug 22 18:49:12 UTC 2003

Drew,
I am currently hosting a talk radio station myself using both icecast1
and icecast2. I have restricted both the number of users and have
throttled the bandwidth requirements since anything over 250-300 users
usually exceeds 10 megabits.
I have a simple HowTo up on my page for setting up both.
http://quasi.ksl.com/icecast/. You are more than welcome to take a look
to see how the config files work adn how you can customize them.
Feel fre to drop me a line if you have any extra questions.
Sorry I did not answer all your questions. It's been awhile since I
played with icecast. Once you have it up and running, you can pretty
much forget it since it keeps working.
KJ

On Fri, 2003-08-22 at 11:22, Drew Bertola wrote:
> Hey all,
>
> I'm a newbie to icecast and to streaming in general.  I have gotten as
> far as downloading and compiling the icecast2, ices, and required
> libraries.
>
> I have started to configure icecast and ices and I can point a browser
> to my icecast server, but then I get stuck.  So, this all leads me to
> some questions that I can't answer myself from the available HowTo, FAQ,
> or man pages.
>
> The first question is theoretical.  What is the difference between
> icecast and ices?
>
> Also, how do the conf files for icecast and ices work together?  I
> imagine that this will be more clear after understanding the first
> question.
>
> I'd like to support 100 connections for a talk radio stream.  What can I
> expect for bandwidth requirements?
>
> Thanks,
> --
> Drew